Being a mom is a full-time job and running a business is double. Add running two businesses, and you get Lorena Garcia. She’s a mom who is changing the way we view work-life balance and creating her own. I got the opportunity to chat with Lorena and get details on her secret to successfully managing two businesses and mom life.
Tell us a little about yourself:
My name is Lorena Garcia; I am a mom, wife, and entrepreneur at heart. I currently run two successful business, a branding agency called Wela Creative Studio (previously Bloguettes) and Majka where we provide nourishing lactation and wholesome nutrition products for new moms.
Give us a rundown on the history behind your business and how it started
As a busy entrepreneur being a new mom was hard for me I was not educated about what to expect or take care of myself during the fourth trimester. I regularly saw other women become moms so how hard could it be? Right? Well, it was tough! I went back to work quickly and ended up nutritionally depleted, and that’s where the idea of Majka started.
Now after two years and a lot of education on postpartum and nutrition I know that it’s NOT normal to feel completely depleted and exhausted, there are ways of taking care of yourself that can make a huge difference even in years to come.
With Majka, Our mission is to help moms take care of themselves so they can better take care of the ones they love.
As a working mom, what advice do you have for other working moms on work/life balance?
I was SO OBSESSED with a balance that it was a massive source of stress for me. The idea of achieving this perfect idealistic balance was not helping me, and I was always stressing out if I felt I was working too much or if I was with my family too much. SOOOO I gave up on it, and it has been the best thing I have done. Instead, I have priorities. I know that my family, work, and self-care are big for me so as long as I do a little of all in one day, I am good! Some days I spend more time on one than the other, and that is perfectly fine. I am also cautious with my time and plan as much as possible to make the most out of my days.
What has been your biggest challenge trying to achieve work/life balance?
Getting rid of the idea of a perfect work-life balance! Now I know that balance means something different to all of us. What matters is that you do what makes you feel good and happy I know that might sound selfish but if you do that you will be at your best to take care of your family.
What are your goals for your business/career?
With Majka, we want to fuel motherhood! We want to create a movement around motherhood self-care and also bring exposure to our message. We want to get rid of mom guilt and help moms focus on themselves.
What has your process been like starting and running a business as a mom?
CRAZY hahaha I don’t remember the last time I watched TV or got a manicure hahaha. But it has been amazing I want my son to be proud to know that I saw a problem and tried to create a solution for it.
What are the biggest milestones and challenges when building a business? How do you handle those challenges?
One piece of advice for new moms looking to start a business or jump back into the working world after having a baby.
Do what feels right to you! In the end, you are the only one that will have to live with the consequences of not following your dreams the worst feeling in the world is when you think about “what if..”
Do not over plan, do the best you can at that moment and move forward with your idea if you are looking for it to be perfect you will not do it.
What are your go-to apps/resources for managing your home and work?
Here are my favorite tools and apps:
- Milanote: for all my ideas and meeting notes
- Google calendar, If something is not on the calendar it will not happen, I even add my lunch time and family time there that way I don’t waste time.
- Reminders, the reminders app on the iPhone is amazing! I love you can set up time or location reminders. I am always thinking about things I need to do. If I am not near my computer, I will just set up a reminder on my phone.
Being a working mom, every day can get pretty busy. Walk us through what a typical workday looks like for you.
Like I said I love routine and have had to become a planner to make the most out of my time so here is a look at a typical day and my morning routine;
- Wake up at 4 am, this is my time. Days are always so busy that this is the time where I can actually catch up on email and tasks and also be in silence. It’s my most productive time of the day
- At 7 am my family wakes up, so I get my son ready for school and eat breakfast
- Get to the office around 9 am, usually schedule meeting from 9-12
- 12-3 work on personal tasks
- 3 head home before Diego wakes up from his nap
- 3:30 – 8:30 family time
- 8:30-9:30 Read, I am very curious, so I always like to stay updated and educated on the topics I am interested in
How do you unwind after a busy day?
My favorite thing is to spend 10-15 min in silence. I have been trying to meditate more. I am not an expert so I use the Headspace app. I also love to lay on an infrared mat, and the heat makes it so easy to relax!
What are your top 3 must-have mom essentials? This can be for you or baby.
- A backpack that fits my laptop and all my mom stuff. I love the one from Mansur Gavriel
- Water Bottle, I love stainless steel, so I have been using the Larq Bottle. I always carry one just in case Diego or I get thirsty.
- Snacks! I love yum earth candy to always have in my bag.