Changes occur to your body during and after pregnancy, and it often takes a while for your body to revert back to what it was before you gave birth – and the same applies to changes that happen with your hair. After giving birth and breastfeeding your child, you may notice that you’re losing some hair during this postpartum period. However, there are many ways that you can take care of your hair during this time, and The XO Mom is here to tell you everything you need to know about postpartum hair care.
When you’re expecting, your pregnancy hormones keep your hair from falling out, allowing it to stay thick and luscious. Unfortunately, when your hormones go back to normal, so does your hair–so you may notice your hair is coming out more often. However, you shouldn’t worry because not only is it normal, but there are plenty of ways you can take care of your hair during this time.
Postpartum Hair Care Tips
- Get a prenatal vitamin supplement that works for you to allow yourself to obtain a lot of nutrients important for overall health, including hair health. If you’re breastfeeding, consult your doctor about this first.
- Don’t overuse shampoo! Only shampoo when necessary and make sure you have a quality conditioner to make your hair silky and easy to comb through: this will prevent extra hair loss.
- Go Natural: Skip the flat iron/curling iron to avoid all the heat damage it will cause. Learn to love your natural hair and it will benefit your hair growth!
- Take a biotin Supplement: Biotin is known to make hair and nails grow faster and stronger, so taking a supplement every day can help with postpartum hair loss. If you’re breastfeeding, consult your doctor first.
- Drink enough water: Drinking a lot of water will help your hair grow stronger and faster, which will, of course, be beneficial during this time of hair loss. Plus, drinking plenty of water has benefits for your overall health and skin so you can’t go wrong with drinking a lot of water!